Md Fahim Anjum, Ph.D. student, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Builds algorithms to diagnose Parkinson's
• Hometown: Dhaka, Bangladesh
• Faculty mentor/advisor: Professor Soura Dasupta (Ph.D. Advisor), F. Wendell Miller Distinguished Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering; and Professor Nandakumar Narayanan (Ph.D. Co-Advisor), Juanita J. Bartlett Professor in Neurology Research
• What is your degree program and expected graduate date? I am currently a Ph.D. candidate in Electrical & Computer Engineering and my expected graduation date is Aug 2021
• Please describe your research:
• My research focuses on finding efficient and real-time algorithms for diagnosing neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s Disease using EEG and other brain activities. I am also working on developing mathematical models for certain regions of the brain which can generate similar brain activities measured in both diseased and healthy human subjects.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? In recent times, there has been a huge interest in diagnosing neurological diseases using EEG as it is cheaper and available to most of the hospitals. Efficient and real-time detection of neurological diseases not only helps in early diagnosis but also improves the treatment immensely. Lastly, Modeling different regions of the brain can greatly enhance advanced therapies like Deep Brain Stimulation which is an efficient treatment for many neurological diseases.
• How soon after starting at the University of Iowa were you able to participate in research? I started working in research in my last year of undergraduate life at the University of Iowa.
• How has being involved in research made you more successful at the University of Iowa? After entering the research arena, I have learned how to think critically and efficiently for solving problems which helped me when I participated in group projects. Conducting research helped me become more disciplined, organized which helped me both in my courses and my social life.
• What are your career goals and/or plans after graduation? After graduation, I will be pursuing a Post Doctorate position as I want to continue my research in the academic arena.
Banner location: online—