Emily Malcolm Cushing, Ph.D. student, Biochemistry
Investigates fat metabolism
• What is your area of research? I study the regulation of dietary fat metabolism: how we digest and use the fat from our diet.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? Fat metabolism is essential to life; it is misregulated in many diseases including diabetes and metabolic syndrome. We need to understand both the normal processes of fat metabolism and what can go wrong to develop new treatments and preventative measures for these diseases.
• What is your degree program and expected graduation date? Ph.D. Biochemistry, May/August 2018
• Hometown: Conway, Arkansas
• Faculty mentor: Brandon Davies
• What are your career goals? I plan on pursuing a career in teaching and research.
Banner location: University Capitol Centre—Old Capitol Town Center, 201 S. Clinton St.