Sadie Elliott, Ph.D. student, Physics and Astronomy Ph.D.
Explores Jupiter's aurora
• What is your area of research or scholarship? I conduct research in the area of space plasma physics, studying the aurora at Jupiter via the NASA Juno mission.
• Why does this research matter? Exploration of giant planets in our solar system, like Jupiter, provides us with a laboratory for understanding exoplanets. The Juno mission offers us the best opportunity to explain these unreachable worlds.
• Degree program: Physics-Astronomy Ph.D. program, expected graduation: roughly 2021
• Hometown: South Saint Paul, Minnesota
• Faculty advisor: Professor Donald Gurnett
• Career goals: I aspire to either become a professor or work as a research scientist at NASA.
Banner location: Downtown—Washington St, between Clinton St. and Dubuque St.