Brittany Givens, Ph.D. student, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
Edits cancer DNA
• What is your area of research or scholarship? My research focuses on polymeric nano- and micro-particles for gene or drug delivery as well as nanoparticle toxicity. My work impacts multiple diseases including heart failure, cancer, and asthma.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? This research uses a powerful DNA editing strategy to change the genetic makeup of endometrial cancer. This is believed to inhibit tumor growth and make aggressive cancer more treatable.
• What is your degree program and expected graduate date? My degree department is Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, College of Engineering; Graduating Fall 2019
• Hometown: Milwaukee, WI
• Faculty mentor/advisor: Dr. Aliasger Salem
• What are your career goals? I hope to become a research professor at a research institution
Banner location: not on display—