Carla Gonzalez, Ph.D. student, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
Enriches latina/o education
• What is your area of research or scholarship? I research Latina/o historical and contemporary educational experiences and issues in K-12 and Higher Education.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? Latina/o students are the largest ethnic group both nationally and the state of Iowa, yet their educational K-20 achievement and higher educational attainment are lower than their non-Latina/o or White counterparts.
• What is your degree program and expected graduate date? I am in the Schools, Culture, and Society program under Educational Leadership and Policy Studies Department. I expect to graduate May or Fall 2018.
• Hometown: Chillicothe, Illinois.
• Faculty mentor/advisor: Dr. Katrina Sanders
• What are your career goals? My goal is to become a faculty member and be engaged in both academic and Latinx community work.
Banner location: University Capitol Centre—Old Capitol Town Center, 201 S. Clinton St.