• What is your degree program and expected graduation date? Master’s in Civil and Environmental Engineering, May 2020
• Please describe your research: My research is concerned with the functionalization of polymeric nanofibers in a way that enhances their capacity to take up nutrients from drinking water.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? These materials could be used to help reduce health-threatening nutrient concentrations in drinking water.
• How soon after starting at the University of Iowa were you able to participate in research? I started research within three weeks.
• How has being involved in research made you more successful at the University of Iowa? Research exposes the student to enriching development opportunities and useful technologies. Research is both the application of knowledge and knowledge in the making. It impacts the student’s success through human networking, and challenges the student to constantly think of applications of the topics discussed in lectures.
• What are your career goals and/or plans after graduation? I might join a consulting firm.
• Faculty mentor/advisor: Dr. David Cwiertny
• Hometown: Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Banner location: Downtown—Washington Street, between Gilbert Street and Linn Street