• What is your degree program and expected graduation date? PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Aug 2021
• Please describe your research: I am creating an initial snapshot of lead and copper in Iowa drinking water and investigating whether commercially available lead test strips are reliable for homeowners to use.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? There is no safe level for lead in children. This research will help understand lead and copper in drinking water in Iowa, especially in resource-constrained communities.
• How soon after starting at the University of Iowa were you able to participate in research? I started my research in my first semester.
• How has being involved in research made you more successful at the University of Iowa? Being involved in research has made me more successful at the University of Iowa because it has provided me with new experiences, such as studying abroad in India and building relationships with the community water operators in Iowa.
• What are your career goals and/or plans after graduation? My career goals are to work at the interface of environmental engineering and science policy. I want to drive the change in environmental policy, even if I have to pave the career path myself.
• Faculty Mentor/Advisor: Michelle Scherer
• Hometown: Piscataway, NJ
Banner location: not on display—