Russell M Martin, Undergraduate student, Biomedical Engineering
Analyzes potential seizure meds
• What is your area of research or scholarship? My research focuses on analyzing FDA-approved drugs for their effectiveness in inhibiting epileptic seizures.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? Epilepsy is a complex disease that can have a wide variety of underlying causes, so uncovering new ways to prevent seizures is imperative to improving how this condition is treated. Repurposing drugs that are already FDA-approved is especially advantageous because of how time-consuming and expensive it is to develop treatments from scratch.
• What is your degree program and expected graduate date? B.S.E. in Biomedical Engineering, May 2020
• Hometown: West Branch, Iowa
• Faculty mentor/advisor: Dr. Robert Cornell and Dr. Alexander Bassuk
• What are your career goals? I hope to earn my Ph.D. in Biomechanics and to teach and conduct research at the university level.
Banner location: not on display—