• What is your degree program and expected graduation date? PhD in Nursing, May 2020
• Please describe your research: My research is focused on the use of virtual reality technology to help manage chronic pain.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? Chronic pain is highly prevalent, and drugs provide inadequate relief with chronic use leading to adverse effects. There is a need for investigating non-pharmacologic, complementary chronic pain therapies.
• How soon after starting at the University of Iowa were you able to participate in research? I was able to participate in research within my first semester of starting at the University of Iowa.
• How has being involved in research made you more successful at the University of Iowa? It has helped me develop valuable skills, such as critical thinking, leadership, interdisciplinary communication, and project management.
• What are your career goals and/or plans after graduation? My career goals are to contribute to research to improve chronic pain management and further explore the use of new technology such as virtual reality for pain management.
• Hometown: Racine, Wisconsin
• Faculty mentor/advisor: Barbara Rakel
Banner location: Downtown—Clinton Street, between Washington Street and College Street