Mariana Tejeda, M.F.A student, Creative Writing
Transcends borders through art
“Mariana combines creative writing with theater and dance. Writing is her voice but she is in constant dialogue with others. She makes the UI community stronger with her multidisciplinary understanding of creativity.” – Ana Merino, Professor of Spanish
• Hometown: México City
• Faculty mentor/advisor: Professor Ana Merino
• What is your degree program and expected graduate date? MFA Spanish Creative Writing, May 2022
• Please describe your research: My research explores the possibilities of poetry as a collaborative, interactive and multidisciplinary art.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? To write in Spanish in Iowa could be an alienating experience. This research works with the premise that language is not a barrier to appreciate art. I bring my poems to life by making them interact with other art forms and artists. Together we create pieces that are political, subversive, current, joyful and highly relatable.
• How soon after starting at the University of Iowa were you able to participate in research? I started working on this research in the 1st semester of my program.
• How has being involved in research made you more successful at the University of Iowa? My artistic language has been enriched and expanded thanks to the network of artists and collaborators that this research originated. My involvement in this research impacted my artistic career and impulses me to keep growing.
• What are your career goals and/or plans after graduation? After graduation I want to pursue an MFA in Dance Choreography at the University of Iowa to expand my research into other art forms and languages.
Banner location: Downtown—University Capitol Centre - 2nd floor