Kody Waldstein, Ph.D. student, Immunology
Links viruses with inflammation
• What is your area of research or scholarship? My research is centered around respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and how it influences the body’s immune system.
• In simple terms, why does this research matter? Inflammation in the lung contributes to the severity of the disease during the infection, especially in infants. By understanding how the virus causes inflammation, new therapies can be developed to inhibit inflammation resulting in less severe disease and faster recovery time.
• What is your degree program and expected graduate date? Immunology Ph.D., 2022
• Hometown: Dike, IA
• Faculty mentor/advisor: Dr. Steven M. Varga, Ph.D.
• What are your career goals? After completing my Ph.D. and an academic postdoc, I plan to pursue a career in academia as a faculty member.
Banner location: Downtown—Washington St, between Dubuque St. and Linn St.